Image from page 210 of “The official guide book to Philadelphia..” (1876)
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Title: The official guide book to Philadelphia..
Year: 1876 (1870s)
Authors: Westcott, Thompson
Publisher: Philadelphia, Porter and Coates
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: The Library of Congress
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
eeting (Orthodox) adjoining themeeting-house, corner of Twelfth and Clover streets, aboveChestnut street. It was chartered by William Penn in 1701,and for more than a century the school-house was in Fourthstreet below Chestnut. Friends Central School, Fifteenth and Race streets, is con-nected with the meeting-house there. The course is thorough,from primary up to academic and classical. The schools areprimary, secondary, grammar and central. There are sixschools at this place, and about six hundred pupils. CHAPTER XI.INSTITUTIONS FOR SCIENTIFIC EDUCATION. MEDICAL COLLEGES. Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania (Allopathic). This branch of the university occupies a capa-cious building of greenstone situate at the corner of Locustand Thirty-fourth streets. The style of the architecture is inharmony with that of the main university building, to theeast of it, and of the university hospital, to the south, althoughthere are essential differences in all of them. This building
Text Appearing After Image:
MEDICAL DEPARTMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA. is fitted up especially for purposes of medical instruction.The laboratory is in the basement. Two large lecture-roomsare upon the first floor. The museum and clinical amphi-theatre are on the second floor. The third story contains thedissecting-rooms and surgical-rooms. There are ample ac-commodations for six hundred students; and besides the in-struction of the Faculty and assistants, practical, clinical and M 177 178 MEDICAL COLLEGES. surgical instruction is afforded by the practice at the universityhospital, on the same ground. Access by Chestnut and Walnutstreets passenger railway (Darby branch). The medical department of the university owes its foundation toDoctor William Shippen of Philadelphia, who commenced privatelectures upon medicine and surgery in 1764. In 1765 the College ofPhiladelphia instituted a medical department, and Doctor Shippenwas made the first professor, being awarded the chair of anatomy.Other chairs were
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Now, online facility for medical colleges’ application
Union health ministry on Monday, March 21 launched an online procedure of receiving application from medical colleges desirous to start post- graduation courses or increase seats in existing ones. According to PTI, applicants will have to upload a scanned …
Read more on India Today